Direct ties to the American Revolution are found in this antique Land Grant. As a “Founding Father”, Benjamin Harrison V, served as Governor of Virginia and as a delegate to the Continental Congress, who signed the Declaration of Independence. As part payment for military service during the Revolution, Harrison’s heirs were titled sixty acres of land in Ohio with the offered Land Grant, signed by sitting President James Monroe (d.1831), who also fought during the Revolutionary War. Hand-dated “7/14/1824”, this official document bears the seal of the General Land Office at lower left and a prominent (“7”) strength signature by 5th POTUS Monroe at lower right.
Written contents describe in great detail the section of Ohio land assigned to William Fulton and heirs, by citing geographic coordinates, landmarks and multiple previous surveys. Also named are Harrison’s son and legal representative Batteal Harrison and attorney Andrew Mullin, with all written and printed entries remaining clearly discernible. Measuring 12 x 13-3/4”, this sturdy sheet of vellum shows light to moderate wear, but presents better than expected for a document of such considerable age. Commissioner of the Land Office George Graham (d.1830) has countersigned at bottom center (“6”) and on the reverse (“6”). The reverse is also signed by William Fulton (“6-7”) with the inscription “Waters of Darby Ck (creek)”. Full photo LOA from JSA.